June 29, 2009
Melting Like Hot Candle Wax (Now With Links)
It’s silly to make a CD-length mix playlist in 2009. I stopped listening to CDs altogether when I donated my long-suffering 1996 Monte Carlo a couple of years ago. And curation with limits is out. Why limit yourself to a static 80-minute document when you can have your own blog - hell, your own radio station - curating music all year long? Why not just make a big “favorites” list for your iPod and stick it on shuffle?
So it took the following extraordinary circumstances to get me to put this together:
1. I’m secretly an analog dinosaur. I wrote papers on a manual typewriter until I went to college, and made cassette after cassette of 60, 90, and 120-minute songs I recorded from the radio from the time I was six or seven.
2. I keep all of my music on an external hard drive, which went kaput. I’ve had to scavenge data to my overloaded laptop - which means I mostly have only a few songs/albums that I really want to listen to available to me.
3. It’s hot, and it’s summer, so songs about heat and summer keep coming to my mind. And they’re (mostly) not the obvious ones.
4. There are a few really terrific albums that have come out in the last few months.
5. The death of Michael Jackson has me reaching around in my music archive a bit.
So here’s a playlist of songs preoccupying me for summer 2009. It’s titled “Melting Like Hot Candle Wax.” If you’re really slick, you know where that title’s from already.
1. “Build Voice,” Dan Deacon, Bromst 2. “Two Weeks,” Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
3. “Boyz,” M.I.A., Kala
4. “Summertime Clothes,” Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavilion
5. “Not A Robot, But A Ghost,” Andrew Bird, Noble Beast
6. “Another Sunny Day,” Belle & Sebastian, The Life Pursuit
7. “Summertime,” Galaxie 500, This Is Our Music
8. “We Could Walk Together,” The Clientele, Suburban Light
9. “Black Cab,” Jens Lekman, Oh You’re So Silent Jens
10. “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough,” Michael Jackson, Off The Wall
11. “Postcards From Italy,” Beirut, Gulag Orkestar
12. “Two Doves,” Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca
13. “Too Many Birds,” Bill Callahan, Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
14. “The City,” Dismemberment Plan, Emergency & I
15. “Here Comes the Summer,” The Fiery Furnaces, EP
16. “35 in the Shade,” A.C. Newman, Slow Wonder
17. “Summer In The City,” Regina Spektor, Begin To Hope
What music, old or new, are you listening to this summer?